06 February, 2009

Cork- Day 2

Doolin 
Me and the Cliffs
Fog rolling in over the cliffs.
Cliffs of Moher.
Cliffs of Moher

So on day 2 we woke up before the crack of dawn and walked across town to catch the coach for our Paddy Wagon tour of the Cliffs of Moher. We pulled out just after 8am and headed north towards Limerick. In Limerick we stopped for a toilet break and to pick up some more people. All told there were 21 people on this tour so it was a nice small group. Our drivers were Kevin and PJ and they were both wonderful. Kevin was a younger guy and PJ or Peter as some called him, was an elderly Irish chap with a flare for telling stories. After picking up some people who had come over from Dublin we head up towards the cliffs. It really isn't that far, the whole journey without stops would have been about 3 hours. So it's  about the distance from St. Louis to Evansville... except going to the Cliffs of Moher once is better than any journey I will ever make to Evansville.  As we drove along we got to see a fair bit of the Irish countryside which really is as green as everyone says it is. Rolling hills of green as far as the eye can see with little farm houses and tiny villages nestled amongst the hills. All during the ride to the cliffs it was raining so that was a little unfortunate.

Before we knew it we were on the coast looking out at the Atlantic ocean in one direction and looking back  at the Irish hills in the other direction. It was stunning. Momentarily we arrived at the cliffs and they gave us a good hour and a half to walk around the cliff edge. When we arrived at the cliffs the rain began to taper off and eventually stopped. At this point I am going to attempt to describe what it was like, but no words in the English language, or any other language for that matter, can really do justice to this natural wonder. We walked up the cliff edge, or as close as they would let us get and  as my pictures show above it was just vertical cliff sides. Everything was green, even the water. The water was such a beautiful aqua colour. We walked around the cliffs for a long time and took lots of pictures and it was really overwhelming. It felt like I was standing on the edge of the world. It was such a liberating feeling. You should try it some time. To our amazement the rain stopped and the clouds cleared some and the sun peaked out. Also, lots of fog rolled in across the cliffs... and to put it simply... The world is beautiful and life is so good right now. 

Ultimately we had to leave, but I've promised myself that I will come back. We drove down the road a little bit and stopped for lunch in a village called Doolin. My group had packed lunches so we sat outside the pub in the sun and ate our sandwiches. When we finished there was still some time before we had to be back on the coach so we walked around the village. Again for those of you who have seen Waking Ned Divine it was just as I always imagined it to be. I have also decided that when I retire I will either come back and live in Doolin or find another small Irish village and live there quite contently with my dog  and my cat. It will be wonderful. So we got back on the bus and set off down the road a little more until we came to a place known as the Burren. The Burren is as another cliff edge, but unlike the Cliffs of Moher that are covered with green grass the burren is an extremely rocky cliff edge. There is a rock field before you can even get to the cliff edge. Because these cliffs are significantly shorter we were allowed to walk out as far as we wanted. Don't have heart palpitations now, but I walked all the way to the edge and looked down over the ocean. If you want to be reminded how small you are in the grand scheme of things just come here. It was so beautiful and it really reminded me that everything was once one, because our driver was talking about how these rocks and boulders ended up here due to the floating glaciers during the Ice Age. There's history for you. 

Finally we had to get on the bus and the took us back to Limerick via the scenic route and then back to Cork. When we got back we were all exhausted, but I think for the majority of the people there it was the best day of their lives for the past 2 years. It was the most beautiful place on earth I have seen to this day. That night we went back to our favorite put An Spaílpin Fánac and heard some more Irish music. This time I had a Beamish, not a Guinness and it was good, but not as smooth. In Cork it is said that Beamish and Murphys are the true Irish Stouts and that Guinness is for the northerners and those from abroad who don't know better. So I was fair and sampled both. I'm still not a big beer fan, but I was able to appreciate it. So no worries I'm not a drunkard yet. 

We went home that night all delighted about the last 24 hours events. We had to get up the next morning and leave for the airport so our journey kind of ends here, but it was the best trip I have ever taken. I was surrounded by friends that I hold dear, good food, good beer, and beautiful surroundings. What more can a person ask for. Parting was such sweet sorrow, but I know I will be back so that makes it a little easier. Ireland is a Claddagh in and of itself. It is Loyalty, Love and Friendship and I've never been so proud to be Irish and to wear that reminder on my finger everyday of my life. 

"Come fill to me the parting glass, goodnight and joy be to you all."

No comments:

Post a Comment