03 February, 2009

Cork- Day 1

This is all of us at the pub Friday night.
Long live Ireland!
My delicious Irish Coffee.
Looking down into the courtyard at Blarney.
Blarney Castle.

So on Thursday we left for our trip to Cork Ireland. My best friend Dani and I had to stay at the manor a little later because we both have meet-a-family families and Thursday was the formal dinner. After the dinner my family drove me to the train station and Dani and I got on a train to London Stansted Airport. 2 and 1/2 hours and 1 train change later we arrived at London Stansted airport. It was pretty empty there because it was 11:30pm and the only other people there were those who were spending the night. The other 7 kids going to Cork had already been there for a couple hours and after we met up we found a corner and all went to sleep on the floor. Not everyone slept. Dani and my friend Austin stayed up for most of the night watching over us and our stuff, but eventually Austin fell asleep and Dani and I stayed up. Our flight was at 6:20 so the rest of the kids work up around 4:20 to check in. We all checked in and went through some pretty dodgy security checkpoint. We were flying with RyanAir and they are really strict about carry on luggage. You are only allowed one piece so if you have a purse your purse has to be inside your other bag. And there's a weight limit of 20 lbs I think. So I went through security just fine, but some of the other kids got pulled aside and had their bags searched or got frisked. I really can't imagine how they thought a bunch of Anglo- American kids were going to cause trouble or anything, but apparently they did. Once we got released from the watchful eyes of the security officials we set off for our gate which was sooo far away. 

RyanAir works like Southwest in that there is a mad rush to get inline to get on the plane. People are crazy!!!! We all got separated in the process of getting in line. RyanAir is also different in that you walk out to the airport and walk up the little staircase. It was FREEZING! They also don't de-ice their planes so the wing that I was sitting over was still covered in ice when we took off. Sketch!!! The flight to Cork is only just over an hour. Before we knew it we were bumping along the runway in Cork trying to slow down. It was the roughest landing I have ever experienced. We finally got to our gate and walked down the gang-plank. We found each other again and all went through immigration together... which means I've got another stamp in my passport. Wooo!!!!! 

Our taxi wasn't supposed to arrive for another hour or so so we got some breakfast, I had a scone, and set about changing our money into Euros. When our taxi arrived we all piled into two cars and puttered off towards Cork. Oh, I think I should mention now that when we arrived in Cork it was raining; a disgusting cold yucky rain. It did not stop when we left the airport... or ever when we arrived at our hostel. Anyway, our taxi driver for the ride was very friendly and wanted to know where we were all from and what we were doing in Cork and what we wanted to see while we were here... etc. He told us where he thought we should go. On our drive through the city he pointed out sites and such to us. Cork is not known for anything special in terms of architecture. It's just your average Irish city. It was still pouring when we arrived at our hostel and even though we had made plans to go out to Blarney once we arrived we decided to take a nap until 11:30. We all woke up around 11:30 and asked our awesome hostess Tracy how to get to the bus station where we would catch a bus out to Blarney.

In the rain we headed into the City Centre which is on an island and went to the bus station. We had just missed a bus and so we had a good hour before the next one would run. So we decided to go find some lunch. We stopped in a pub called Mulligans... at least I think it was called Mulligans. I had chicken soup with Irish soda bread and a cup of hot tea. Some of the other kids got Murphys which is the local brew. After lunch we headed to the bus station where we got on a bus to go to Blarney. It was still pouring when we arrived in Blarney. Due to the weather there was no body there so we walked right through and up to the castle. The castle was pretty cool, but I'm not really sure it was worth the 8 euros we had to pay. Meh. Atleast I can say I went there and kissed the Blarney stone. I wish I could tell you the significance or the history, but they didn't really explain it to us, so if you are really interested just Google. 

We were all soaked to the bone by the time we left Blarney castle and so we headed to a pub in Blarney for an early dinner. It was little and cozy and full of locals because its the off season in Ireland. We sat down next to a roaring fireplace and took off our coats and shoes to try and dry off and warm up. As is traditional if you are in Ireland I had shepherd's pie and Irish coffee. When I went up to the bar to order my Irish coffee the bar tender scoffed at me a little bit. I guess he thought that I didn't know what was in Irish coffee, which I did. It's coffee and Whiskey. Duh! Anyway, I just smiled and took my Irish coffee and enjoyed my Shepherd's pie. After dinner we went out and did a little shopping in Blarney and my splurge was to get a celtic knot ring, which is gorgeous if I say so myself. 

After that we headed back into Cork on the bus and rested before the rest of our night. A few people decided to stay because they were just too cold and wet. We left to go out around 9 and we were going to go to this pub down the street from our hostel that was supposed to have Irish music at 9 on Fridays, but when we got there we realized that something was not right. There were no musicians and we felt like we had just walked into a private locals only pub. We left that one pretty quickly and walked until we found another pub. This one didn't have any music, but by that point some people were desperate for a drink so we sat down. Well this pub didn't have desserts or food so we nixed it and left this one. We walked all over town until we finally found the pub that I will remember forever and return to again and again when I go back to Ireland. An Spailpín Fánac... it's Gaelic... don't know what it means. Anyway, this place was amazing. It was everything that an Irish pub should be. It was pretty big and we found a little nook in one of the larger rooms off to the side. We all ordered drinks and sat down and hoped that the music would start. To appease my Irish ancestors I had a half pint of Guinness. It was so delicious. It was so smooth and dark. mmmmhmm. I also tried, but did not purchase, a Beamish and a Beamish Red. The Beamish is another Irish Stout and the Beamish Red is an Ale. 

At some point in time, I'm not really sure when, but at some point in time Irish music began. It turned out that the four guys playing were sitting right outside our nook. It was so wonderful. For those of you that have seen Waking Ned Divine it was just like the part in that film near the end where the entire town is in the pub drinking and dancing. There was no dancing here, but the atmosphere was the same. It was glorious! Finally we called it a night and made the long, long walk back to our hostel. We all went right to sleep because we knew we would have to be up super early the next morning, so...

Goodnight and joy be to you all.

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like live Irish music in an Irish pub....and a fresh pint of Guiness or Murphy's to go with it....the Guiness just tastes better in Ireland. When I was over there 10 years ago the pubs were pretty smoky, it must be nice to have them smoke free now!! And the people are great, the Irish just love to talk, tell stories, tell you everything about their town or city, and they want to know all about you and your travels...the gift of the gab!!

    Trivia that I learned from my brief stop at Cork harbor (and somehow still remember): Cork is Ireland's biggest port, most of the Irish that emigrated left from Cork harbor....and Cork was the last stop made by the Titanic on it's ill fated voyage.

    Did you see the Druid trees at Blarney Castle? They were very creepy looking

    ReplyDelete